Frankincense is a powerhouse essential oil, for sure. Although most relate the oil to biblical times, it certainly was an excellent choice as a gift to Jesus Christ at his birth, but you might not know what to do with the great EO. I’ve listed below a few health benefits of how Frankincense EO can be attributed to its properties as an antiseptic, disinfectant, astringent, carminative, digestive, diuretic, emenagogue, expectorant, sedative, and tonic.
1. Immune Booster. Dilute 1 drop of Frankincense in your favorite food or drink and ingest for daily maintenance (make sure your oils are therapeutic grade essential oils for ingestion) OR apply 1 to 3 drops to soles of feet.
2. Wrinkles? Add a few drops with a carrier oil to use as an astringent effect on the skin (perks up older mature skin, while helping heal wounds). Reduces appearance of wrinkles.
3. Breast Health. Rub 2-3 drops on breasts or lower abdomen daily. Here is a study about Frankincense and breast cancer.
4. Warts and/cysts? Apply 1-2 drops on the culprit twice a day until it disappears.
5. Sun spots? Apply a drop to the spot twice a day. Always be sure to check with your doctor.
6. Split, brittle fingernails? Rub a drop of Frankincense at the base of the nails 3 to 4 times a week.
7. Depressed? Put 1 to 2 drops of Frankincense on the back your neck or diffuse in the same room. This also works great to increase concentration.
8. Bloating and Gas? Dilute and add to water or favorite drink, or apply a couple drops over the abdominal area. Frankincense oil eliminates gas in the body, which in turn relieves stomach aches, abdominal pain, indigestion and related bloating.
9. Prevent Scaring by applying frankincense directly to the wound daily.
10. Exhaustion, Poor Circulation, Nightmares? Blend a couple drops with a carrier oil or dilute in a bath for bronchitis, rheumatism, poor circulation, exhaustion, nightmares.
Frankincense can be used NEAT, diffused, or with carrier oil (almond oil, coconut oil, etc.). Frankincense should not be used during pregnancy since it is an emenagogue and astringent.
I’m just touching on a very few uses for this super essential oil. Think anti-aging properties, helps menstrual issues, a diuretic, soothes respiratory, boosts immune system, fades stretch marks and scars, protects loss of teeth, reduces gingivitis (oral care), and very effect as a natural sedative.